Definition of a ‘reminder’ – a thing that causes someone to remember something.
The year is almost over. It is time to pause for some reflection. 2015 has been a year of great REMINDERS for me – important things that I knew of but either ignored or have forgotten.
- I am reminded that nothing is more important than having good health – both physical and mental. Self-care is so important but often neglected. Btw, check out these amazing Ted Talks on the topic. My mum reminded me, “you have only one body and one life, take care of it!”
Learn to pause, to stop, to rest. When people ask me how I am now, I reply, “I am very busy. Busy taking care of MYSELF.”
- Family will always be there for you, no matter what happens. Treasure your time with them, especially your parents. My mum surprised me so many times last few months – with her openness, her wisdom and strength. I am reminded of the amount of quality time we have left with our aging parents. So, please don’t be upset when I turn down weekends’ invitations to parties and outing. I am reserving weekends for my family. I want to be there for my baby niece, Maeve who is growing up so quickly. I want to hang out at kopitiam with my brothers and have zi char with my parents.
- Let Go – Some things and some people are just not worth your time, do them and yourself a favour – let them go. I am reminded that there is nothing negative in giving up. Sometimes, this means having to let go of jobs that are no longer aligned with your goals, staying away from toxic people and while I may not know what I want all the time, most of the time, I know what I don’t want. Learning to let go has been an on-going lesson that sounds so cliche but such an important reminder.
- Another cliche but … yes, it’s never too late to pick up new skills and follow your dream. One of the best things that happened this year was an 8-week course I took in Art Therapy. I was reminded of a passion I once had in art and painting. I discovered a lot about myself through art therapy.And, Hooray! I am finally going back to school to pursue a Master’s degree in Jan 2016! I am reminded that you are never too old to study, to discover and learn new things.
- Gratitude and forgiveness. I keep a gratitude journal to remind myself that despite some bad days, some unfortunate situations in life, I still have a lot to be thankful for. I am also reminded that when you forgive, it is not because the other person deserve it, you forgive because you deserve peace. Move on.
So, there you go – a lot had happened in 2015 and I am so grateful for everything I have learned and experienced.
My ex-teammate, Channtal reminded me that it had been a rewarding year for me. I like that. Rewarding is such a great word to describe my 2015. I am going ahead to celebrate and enjoy my rewards – that come in the form of reminders. I look forward to 2016 and hope it’ll be a year full of new discoveries and good health. Cheers.